An online retailer in Australia has imposed a tax on users of the outdated web browser Internet Explorer 7, citing that the company’s web team needs to spend extra time making the site presentable for those who use the old browser version. Do consumers think this is fair? And how many Americans update their browsers regularly to avoid this type of situation?
In Ask Your Target Market’s latest survey, 53% of respondents said they use Mozilla Firefox. 45% said they use Internet Explorer. 40% use Google Chrome. 14% use Apple’s Safari. 3% use Opera. And 4% use other browsers. 59% of internet users said they always install new updates on their browser when one is available. 37% said they sometimes install available browser updates. And just 4% said they never update their browsers.
In regards to the Australian retailer charging a browser tax on IE7 users, only 19% of consumers said they think it is fair for the company to charge extra in order to cover the extra labor involved. The remaining 81% say it is unfair. Respondents under 34 and those who work in the IT field were more likely to find this tax fair.
68% of consumers said they would just stop shopping at an online retailer if they came across a similar fee applied to their browser. 24% said they would install an updated browser. And only 2% said they would pay the fee or the tax.
You can view the complete survey results in the widget below and be sure to click “Open Full Report” to take advantage of all the chart and filter options.
What do you want to know? If you need some consumer insights on a particular topic, let us know in the comments below and we’ll consider it for an upcoming survey post.
Results were collected on June 20 via AYTM’s online survey panel.