Computer Science Survey: Many Turn to Community, Online Schools

It’s Computer Science Education Week, a time dedicated to promoting and celebrating lifelong learning about technology and related topics. Computer science is a field that’s responsible for many of the technological advances in recent history. So it can be relevant and useful for a variety of careers and other purposes. How many plan to pursue an education in computer science?

computer science

Computer Science

In Ask Your Target Market’s latest survey, 46% of respondents said they have a general interest in computer science. However, just 30% said they use computer science in their work, and 45% said they use it in their daily life. Overall, 75% agreed that computer science is an important field.

Education Interest

So far, 20% of respondents said that they’ve taken multiple computer science related courses in the past. 18% have taken one class. And 62% haven’t taken any. Looking forward, 26% of respondents said they are likely to take computer science related courses within the next five years.

Educational Institutions

Overall, community colleges and online courses seem to be the most popular ways for respondents to seek out their computer science education. More specifically, South Florida University, Penn State, Pitt and Harvard were named as schools where respondents are likely to pursue their computer science education.

You can view the complete survey results in the widget below and be sure to click “Open Full Report” to take advantage of all the chart and filter options.

Photo Credit: computer_science_building from Flickr

What do you want to know? If you need some consumer insights on a particular topic, let us know in the comments below and we’ll consider it for an upcoming survey post.

Results were collected on December 6 via AYTM’s online survey panel.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Anne Pilon
Anne Pilon brings 3 years experience to AYTM as a blogger and journalist. She has a degree in journalism and marketing communications from Columbia College in Chicago and enjoys writing about business, marketing, social media, and art.