Text Message Marketing Survey: Many Not Interested in Receiving Texts

Text Messaging is a relatively new way for companies to reach out to their customers. So many are unsure about how effective it can be and how customers perceive this method. How many consumers currently receive these messages from companies, and how many think text message marketing can be an effective practice?

text message marketing

Text Alerts

In Ask Your Target Market’s latest survey, 9% of respondents said they receive marketing text messages often. 30% said they receive these messages sometimes. 15% said they have received marketing texts once or twice. 33% said they don’t ever receive marketing texts. And 13% said they don’t have a phone that can receive text messages.

Marketing Potential

72% of cell phone users who don’t receive marketing text messages said they are not interested in receiving them. However, 13% said they would be somewhat interested in receiving marketing texts, and 3% said they would be very interested. Another 12% said they are undecided.

29% of those interested in text message marketing said they would be interested in receiving exclusive coupons or offers via text. 18% said they would like to receive information about sales or discounts. 12% would like to receive information about new products. 3% would like to receive general company updates. And 56% said they would like to receive other types of updates.

Subscribers

32% of those who receive marketing text messages said they have signed up to receive those messages. The remaining 68% said they’ve received those texts without opting to do so.

Just 2% of those text recipients said they often make purchases based on marketing text messages. 5% said they do so sometimes, and 11% said they have once or twice. 15% said that although they haven’t made purchases based on text message marketing, they have clicked links or visited sites based on those types of texts.

You can view the complete survey results in the widget below and be sure to click “Open Full Report” to take advantage of all the chart and filter options.

Photo Credit: 7001 New Messages from Flickr

What do you want to know? If you need some consumer insights on a particular topic, let us know in the comments below and we’ll consider it for an upcoming survey post.

Results were collected on May 21 via AYTM’s online survey panel.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Anne Pilon
Anne Pilon brings 3 years experience to AYTM as a blogger and journalist. She has a degree in journalism and marketing communications from Columbia College in Chicago and enjoys writing about business, marketing, social media, and art.