Job Hunting Survey: Technology Helps Many Find Jobs

Due to the current economic situation, many Americans are currently searching for jobs. However, the job hunting tactics have changed drastically over the past several years, so many job hunters have had to go online and even use social media to find jobs. Do these tools prove to be useful, and how many people are actually searching for jobs right now?

job hunting

Job Hunters

In Ask Your Target Market’s latest survey, 32% of respondents said they are currently searching for a job. 42% of those respondents are currently unemployed, 20% are students, and the rest are just searching for a different position. Another 15% said they have searched for a job within the last year, 18% have searched within the last five years, 11% have searched within the last ten years, and 24% haven’t looked for a job in over ten years.

Those who are currently searching for jobs or who have within the last year said they primarily apply for jobs online. 65% said they apply for most jobs online, 28% said they apply for most jobs in person, and just 1% said they apply for most jobs over the phone.

Social Media

Some current and recent job hunters have embraced social media as part of their job hunt. 10% said they use social media to network, 12% use it to find jobs to apply for, and 15% said they use it to network and to find jobs to apply for. However, 64% of job hunting respondents said they don’t use social media as part of their job search at all.

Those who did said they used a few different sites. 67% said they used Facebook as part of their job search, 33% used LinkedIn, 25% used Twitter, 22% used Google+, 12% used YouTube, and 26% used other sites.

Past Job Hunters

For those respondents who haven’t been job hunting in several years, social media and online applications are far less familiar. Just 28% of respondents who haven’t applied for a job within the last year said they have applied for a job online. The remaining 72% have not.

The way Americans communicate is changing, so they way they apply for jobs has changed along with it. Job hunters have had to adapt with new technology. The widget below shows the results of the AYTM.com survey in full. Be sure to click “open full report” for full details.

Photo Credit: job hunting from Flickr

What do you want to know? If you need some consumer insights on a particular topic, let us know in the comments below and we’ll consider it for an upcoming survey post.

Results were collected on February 19 via AYTM’s online survey panel.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Anne Pilon
Anne Pilon brings 3 years experience to AYTM as a blogger and journalist. She has a degree in journalism and marketing communications from Columbia College in Chicago and enjoys writing about business, marketing, social media, and art.